Keynes and Bown talk with former WTO Appellate Body member Jennifer Hillman (Georgetown Law) about WTO dispute settlement. They describe the procedural, philosophical, and judicial complaints the United States has with the current way of addressing trade frictions, potential solutions to those problems, and how the American refusal to appoint new Appellate Body members could soon destroy the functionality of the entire multilateral system of enforcement.
- Tetyana Payosova, Gary Clyde Hufbauer and Jeffrey J. Schott. 2018. The Dispute Settlement Crisis in the World Trade Organization: Causes and Cures. PIIE Policy Brief 18-5, March.
- Jennifer A. Hillman. 2018. Three Approaches to Fixing the World Trade Organization’s Appellate Body: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Georgetown IIEL working paper.
- Robert McDougall. 2018. Crisis in the WTO: Restoring the WTO Dispute Settlement Function. CIGI Papers No. 194.
- Rachel Brewster. 2014. Pricing Compliance: When Formal Remedies Displace Reputational Sanctions. Harvard International Law Journal.
- Jeffrey Dunoff and Mark Pollack. 2017. The Judicial Trilemma. American Journal of International Law.
- Robert Howse. 2016. The World Trade Organization 20 Years On: Global Governance by Judiciary. European Journal of International Law.
- Alan O. Sykes. 2003. The safeguards mess: A critique of WTO jurisprudence. World Trade Review.
- USTR. 2018. 2018 Trade Policy Agenda and 2017 Annual Report.
- European Union. 2018. EU WTO Modernisation Concept paper.
- Canada. 2018. Strengthening and Modernizing the WTO. WTO document JOB/GC/201.
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer. 2011. WTO Judicial Appointments: Bad Omen for the Trading System. PIIE Real Time Issues Watch, 13 June.