Concerns escalate that forced labor and other crimes against humanity are taking place in Xinjiang, China. Amy Lehr (CSIS) describes the challenge in both identifying the problem as well as using unilateral trade sanctions to target human rights improvements. Note: This episode was recorded before the US announcement of an additional withhold release order on December 2 (30:16).
- Amy K. Lehr. 2020. Addressing Forced Labor in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region: Toward a Shared Agenda, CSIS Briefs, July 30.
- Amy K. Lehr and Efthimia Maria Bechrakis. 2019. Connecting the Dots in Xinjiang: Forced Labor, Forced Assimilation, and Western Supply Chains. A Report of the CSIS Human Rights Initiative, October 16.
- The Economist. 2020. The persecution of the Uyghurs is a crime against humanity. October 17.
- The Economist. 2020. How Xinjiang’s gulag tears families apart. October 17.
- US Department of Homeland Security. 2020. DHS Issues Detention Order on Cotton Products Made by Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps Using Prison Labor. December 2.